Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Om nom nom - the joy of leftovers

I haven't blogged in ages, I know. And I will be doing a full 'I'm not fat anymore' update soon (in fact, going to have my programme re-examined tonight so will have something to talk about).

As this is my personal blog I should really use it to talk about the more mudane stuff, like, for example, what I'm having for lunch. That's right folks, it's not just the preserve of Twitter, you know! I love Twitter so much but I know, not everyone is on it. You should tweet if you don't already, it's brilliant. Plus, you can keep up with me much better! :-)

So on the menu today - leftovers! I was driving home last night and was feeling pretty down and stressed, so like the good vegan I am I just took it out on all the veg we had in the house. I had been meaning to make a ratatouille for ages and had everything I needed so I just chopped away and had a rant.

I used the marvellous Remoska cooker pan I have and threw in two big red onions all chopped up and fried them in some olive oil on the stove. For those of you who don't know, a Remoska oven looks like a space-age saucepan: it has a lid with a heating element in it and it cooks from above. It makes the best jacket potatoes and some pretty damn good roasted veg, and it's very economical.

You can use the pan on the stove to fry things and then bung the lid on to do the actual cooking, which is what I did last night. I threw in chunkily-cut peppers of all colours, half an aubergine which was lying around, some courgettes which had seen better days and lots of mushrooms (which were also on the way out, truth be told). I sauteed all of this together, then chucked over a can of tomatoes and a good 2/3 of a tube of tomato puree. Seasoned with a vegetable stock cube and a good pinch of Halen Mon celery salt (wonderful sea salt from Anglesea), which comes highly recommended (by me) for all vegetable dishes, and it was time to bung the lid on.

I left it cooking while I got ready for Monday night Masters and just switched the Remoska back on when I returned to heat the food back up and it was delicious. So many vegetables and so tasty. For lunch I'm having some more, as there was more than enough for three meals!

I know it's not a 'traditional' ratatouille, although it's based on quite a traditional recipe. I can't be bothered to cook things separately: having made and tasted both traditional and Remoska-ed I'm afraid this is just as good at a fraction of the hassle.

Altogether now: om nom nom!

No comments: