Monday, November 05, 2007

A GM activist was killed in Brazil

A activist working against GM crops in Brazil was shot dead during an action ten days ago. I think this is the first person to have died on a GM action.

For those of you who don't know, the GM campaign was where everything started for me. This is where I started journalism, and where I started politics. The GM campaign is something I feel strongly about, and is close to my heart.

So this news is pretty devastating to me. This particular story has been complicated because of the added issue of the landless workers in Brazil, who are also part of the anti-GM campaign there. The leader was the one who was killed, which makes it look like whoever did it knew who to go for. Hopefully there will be more news coverage and Syngenta will release their side of the story. Whatever your view on GM foods and activism in general, it's still a tragedy that this happened.

No comments: