Friday, February 24, 2006

it never rains but it pours...

So the seminars are over for another fortnight. Next time, I'll be giving two presentations. But real news is that one of Charley's sisters died. She was fourty-nine and smoked, ate mostly fry ups and did no exercise. Diagnosed with depression too late she pretty much stopped living after their parents died and lost her job. Her twin died a couple of years ago after a long battle with cancer. Lasy year she was put into a nursing home - having never left home, one of her sisters looked after her but it was too much pressure.
I met her several times, and it was a lot of stress for Charley visiting her because as he says 'it was all self-inflicted'. Last time I saw her she was begging the doctor to put her out of her misery. The funeral's on Tuesday, so we're going down to Kernow next week. It's sad, but all she wanted was to be with her Mum and Dad.
Also Bethan fell down our stairs yesterday. I was reading in bed and I heard a crash and she shouted for me. Her elbow was painful and swollen immediately. I put a sling on it badly and drove her to casualty. Fortunately it wasn't broken but the sac around the joint had burst, causing the immediate swelling. She's on painkillers and in the sling for a week. Our stairs are pretty trecherous, must ask landlord for a handrail.
The gym was actually quite good! It has these machines where you can plug in headphones and watch TV! I went on the rowing machine on too high a resistance and pulled loads of my weak muscles so I'm waiting for them to heal a bit before rowing again.
Anyway, after all that, I wouldn't mind going to a particularly cheesy club tonight for a dance. Whether I can find anyone to go with me is another matter, my taste in cheese is even cheesier than most!

No comments: