Friday, March 10, 2006

I know, I'm really opinionated.

So, discussion in our house yesterday evening. I know I'm really cold and harsh and all that, but I was relieved that the Euopean Court said no to Natalie Evans with her request to use the embryos her and her ex partner froze to have a baby. I think the court was right because;

1/ It is not your right to have your own genetic child. I'm sure it's lovely, and very fulfilling but really, as someone who was brought up by a man who is not my father, it doesn't make a difference. The world is overpopulated. Infanticide is common in certain areas such as China, abortions happen regularly, babies are given for adoption. Adopt instead.

2/Why does she think it is just up to her to decide when to have a baby? It's not just up to her, it is as much her ex partner's choice as hers. No contest. Things change.

3/Why does she think it's a good idea to knowingly have a baby without a father? Would you want to be that baby, finding out that your father did not want you, and that it was dragged through the courts to stop you being born? I actually think that single parent families are fine, and that single people should be able to adopt, but this is an argument that could be put forward.

4/The rights of the unborn child. If she really believed in those, she would attempt to carry every single one of those embryos. Bet she wouldn't. Some would be destroyed. I work on a pain factor. I'm told that the foetus develops a central nervous system at about 10 - 12 weeks. After that it probably can feel pain, and then I think it probably does have rights, in my opinion. If I got pregnant and felt I had to abort, I would do everything I could to make sure I did it beofre then. I think here was a case of someone misusing someone else's ethics to make an impression on the court.

Bethan disagrees with me, citing the genetic child as important; which is fine, but I just disagree funadamentally. Then again, as I said, I'm harsh - I don't think IVF should be available on the NHS. In fact I think it shouldn't be available at all, but I understand the exsistential arguement there - how can you univent it?

In my seminar today we talked about this kind of thing a little; it was interesting becuase one girl even thought that rape vitcims shouldn't be allowed abortions, becuase of the child's right to life. She was coming from a religious point of view, obviously not my thing, but it was good to hear someone being more radical than me, even if I totally disagree.

Anyway, today I must choose and start to research essay titles. I love choosing essay titles! In fact I love everything and everyone. I'm ovulating at the moment, and I've been swimming twice and to the gym twice this week. I'm over-energised! I went out last night, there was a lot of love from everyone, we were all hugging each other. A little too much alcohol, and a generally over excited bunch of people. Nice though, had a good time.

No comments: