Thursday, March 02, 2006

so much driving....

Sorry ozone layer. I really am. I think that this week I have sealed its fate by driving from Swansea to Plymouth to Falmouth and all the way back again. I didn't want to learn to drive, but then I had the experience known as 'driving with Ben'. Ben could drive. Ben would drive. Ben would drive lots of people around to various things around the country. With Ben I travelled many miles. After a while it became apparent that Ben was incredibly short sighted. (My right eye is pretty bad, but his were both worse.) After that, driving with Ben was hardly relaxing. I couldn't sleep because at roundabouts and junctions he couldn't read the signs. This experience really spurred me into action on the learning to drive front. And it took tears, rage and three driving instructors and tests but I did it. Just. And yet I still reckon I'm one of the safest drivers I know. I also reckon everyone says that.
Anyway, Charley can't drive. Well, he can, but he's not allowed, they say he has too many bad habits. He failed his test 6 times. So I drove. And drove.

The funeral was actually ok, teary, but there was a real sense of relief, closure and thankfulness that she wasn't suffering any longer. She was buried, and Charley was a bearer, which I think is a really brave and lovely thing to do.
She left him one of their mother's rings, which she had 'looked after' for him.
In better news, there's to be a wedding of one of Charley's nieces in September, and plans to make a proper weekend of it; I love Charley's family, there's so many of them! If we can go, it'll be fun.

Afterwards we went to see our good friend Syd. She lives nearby, and it was so great to see her. She cooked us a fabulous (and let me tell you, I am seriously fussy about indian style food) coconut curry - I don't think I've enjoyed aubergine in anything so much, ever. It was so nice to catch up a bit, I haven't seen her in ages as she traverses the country to see family and partner, and our paths rarely cross these days. We went through all her books and stuff, and she has a new laptop; maybe she'll visit here soon!?

It was nice to see our cats and my Dad and brother too; I took some photos of the cats, when I get Zander to send them over I'll hopefully upload them.

Now I'm making an appearance back in Wales after missing a whole week of lectures I'd better get on with those seminar presentations...and there's supposed to be a lecturer strike next week. I've got no chance, have I?

On house news; I can't quite believe it but; Bethan's room is really quite tidy! What has happened? All my housemates are out, I might die of suspense before Penny gets back!

No comments: